Where in the world....

Are we now?

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Odyssey to the Heart of Kaz (literally!)

Naming this blog was an omen I guess.

Remember that dossier thing? It has apparently been busy of late... I called our adoption coordinator last week to see what was up, cause it had been in the Ministry for a while and it seemed something should have happened by now. She told me it hadn't moved at all, but hopefully it would soon.

So, we have been planning to leave the first week of March, travel to Berlin with Bruce for a conference, and then on to Kazakhstan. Now I start to worry that maybe we won't have the paperwork in time. We can't get our visa's until we get the "Letter of Invitation", what would we would we do if we don't have the LOI in time? Hm.

Monday (yesterday) I call the coordinator back to ask if there is a possibility of getting our visas in Berlin if the timing becomes a problem. Alla, our coordinator, informs me that we shouldn't have a problem getting our paperwork in time, in fact, she thinks we will be traveling in mid-February... WHAT?!?!

Well, I didn't waste a minute panicking, I started immediately. It looks like we may leave as soon as the 15th or 16th of February. Of course, that leaves a large mountain of things to do before then, the first of which is to accelerate the wrapping of the minds around it...

I then find out we will be going to a town of about 25,000 people called Arkalyk, that is in the middle of the Kazakh Steppe. It will be a flight to Frankfurt, a 7 hour flight from Frankfurt to Almaty, an overnight in Almaty, then a 2 hour flight to Astana, followed by a 16 hour train ride to Arkalyk. Yes, you read that right. As I was explaining to our coordinator that Jaden has travelled with us a lot, but never on a trip THIS big, it occured to me that in this day and age there just aren't that many places in the world you can go that ARE this long of a trip. It will truly be the adventure of a lifetime, in so many ways.

The enlarging of our family is imminent.

1 comment:

brucerosard said...

So, our trip is imminent. Sooner than expected, very surreal. Lynne has spent 100's of hours planning for this adventure and now its upon us. I don't think we'll ever be ready, but here we go. You're never ready for a baby either are you? More to come soon!